Prelim 4 : Foley Sound






Foley Sound is as sound effects that were recorded during post-production while the viewer was watching the edited film. It is meant to mix in with the other soundtrack elements, such as music, recorded effects, and dialogue. 
Foley can be edited from library recordings and is typically divided into two categories: footsteps and props. However, custom Foley is produced for each film in order to give it a more authentic sound. 






A scene is more lifelike when Foley sound is used. The Foley noises sound so authentic and natural which the audience does not perceive is the most effective. 
Foley sound also enhances the realism of a scenario. A crucial component of storytelling is sound. The mood that sound effects product helps to immerse audience members in the narrative. 
The background noise is also much more convincing. Foley artists reproduce background and ambient sounds in the studio to make them louder and more convincing because they are typically not loud enough in a field recording to enhance the action on their own. 












Firstly, I shot the videos of the girl doing certain activities such as walking down a school corridor, up the stairs while laughing and playing with her hair. I also recorded two boys walking down the stairs together as they converse with each other and one of them scratching their head. In order to get the non-diegetic audio, I used the 'Voice Memos' app on my iPhone and recorded noises which matched specific actions shown by the students. For the footsteps I recorded floor stomping, for the head scratching I recorded the audio of slow rubbing on the walls and for the hair playing I used the noise of moving a jumper. Secondly, I shared these videos from my phone onto my laptop and imported them onto a new project on Premier Pro. I then muted the audio of the clips using the 'Mute Track' button. Thirdly, I Airdropped the audio recordings from my phone to my laptop again. I separately imported the audios onto Premiere Pro and placed with the right clips on the strip below. To trim the audios I used the 'Razor Tool' so they fit in the right timings of each action they followed with. 







In this task, I learnt how non-diegetic sound can really emphasise emotions, actions and the importance of them. I also learnt more of the basics on Premier Pro such as how to mute tracks and use the razor tool to trim down clips and audios, as I didn't necessarily understand the editing platform at the start of usage.

 



In future, in order to emphasise more on emotions during the scene of the girl coming across the boy in the stairway I could record audios mimicking a fast heartbeat to highlight that she is nervous. 

Comments

Popular Posts